|Summer Bridge will help you prepare both academically and socially for your transition into college this fall. Your continuing enrollment at the University of Utah for the fall 2021 term is conditional on the successful completion of the Bridge Program.|
|In this six week program you will complete two courses - Writing at Your Appropriate Level, and a class called LEAP, a first-year learning community which is designed to teach you how to read, write, and speak at a college level. The LEAP class will have fewer than 30 students and is taught by a nurturing professor who will help you succeed both in the summer and throughout your first year as a college student.|
|In addition to the two courses, the Bridge will include what we call wrap-around support. You will meet your Student Success Advocate who will help you imagine your life at the university, identify special opportunities and supports for you, and most importantly, show you all the ways to have fun while in college.|
The Summer Bridge Program will help you get a step up, a special boost, so you will have your best possible chance at an amazing freshman year.
Summer Bridge Program Highlights
- Access to free tutoring services;
- Individualized attention from professors and support staff, including the Student Success Advocates;
- Introductions and or presentations from support services on campus, for instance, LGBTQ Resource Center, the Center for Ethnic Student Affairs (CESA), Counseling Center, Women’s Resource Center, The Wellness Center, and ASUU a.k.a. student government and clubs, the Writing Center, Major Exploration, the Career and Professional Development Center, and the Learning Center;
- Individual meetings with academic advisors; and
- Social activities outside the classroom, for example, hikes, museums, and other cultural and sporting events.
To participate in the Summer Bridge, you must agree to the following requirements:
- Sign and date this Summer Bridge contract.
- Pay (or receive an extension) of the enrollment deposit by May 1.
- File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2020-2021 academic year and for the 2021-2022 academic year. Please complete and submit both FAFSAs by June 30th, 2021.
- Register for the June 21-22 New Student Orientation session (DO NOT register for Swoop Camp).
- Enroll in six credits for summer – LEAP and Writing.
- Complete LEAP and Writing during the 2nd summer session with grades of no less than a “C” and an overall GPA of no less than a 2.5. Your fall registration will be canceled if you do not meet these GPA requirements.
- Live on campus for the six-week summer session of the bridge program (June 21-August 6).
- Enroll in fall and spring semester LEAP sections (your Academic Advisor will assist in course selection during New Student Orientation).
- Enroll in a minimum of 12 credits in fall semester, including a Math course.
- Work closely with an assigned peer mentor and a Student Success Advocate during summer session and through the next fall and spring semesters.