General Education Learning Outcomes
General Education Learning Outcomes are organized into five categories that are derived from the University Learning Framework. Understanding the skills and competencies within each intersection will help you choose courses that align with your interests and support your educational goals. For example, you may choose to take most of your GE courses in the Collaborate Effectively intersection in order to develop and fine tune a set of skills and competencies that will support you in managing conflict, communicating across differences and understanding multiple cultural perspectives. Alternatively, you may decide to select GE courses across several or all of the intersections to develop a versatile and interdisciplinary set of skills and competencies that will serve you in your future endeavors.
Communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
Incorporate ideas from many diverse lived experiences.
- Develop effective teamwork behaviors and attitudes.
- Navigate conflict productively.
When Community and Knowledge & Skills come together, it’s all about learning to collaborate effectively. Courses in this category target the collaborative skills necessary to work and live effectively in a community of people who have different backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and beliefs.
Reason & Act Ethically
Develop a personal ethical code.
- Apply a personal ethical code to different situations.
- Reflect on how ethical codes apply to global issues.
Reflect on how ethical codes apply to community-based issues.
When Community and Transformation come together, you learn how to reason and act ethically. Courses in this category provide opportunities to grapple with the ethical dimensions of problem solving and action.
Consider context creatively in responding to opportunities.
- Explore and create multi-dimensional approaches in response.
- Explore connections with other topics or opportunities.
- Transform solutions to entirely new forms.
When Impact and Transformation come together, it’s all about learning to respond creatively to the challenges and the opportunities life brings. Courses in this category focus on opportunities to explore, create, engage, and transform.
Persist in Addressing Complex Problems
- Develop strategies for persistence.
- Respond productively to setbacks, errors and failures.
- Create processes that lead to effective problem solving.
Develop a broad system of resources to support problem solving.
When Knowledge & Skills and Impact come together, you learn about persisting in addressing complex problems. Courses in this category focus on developing the capacity to persist and remain engaged in complex problems, especially when an immediate solution seems elusive.
Actualize and Contribute
Build on academic and personal experiences to respond to new and challenging situations.
- Understand one's capacity to design their own learning experience.
- Analyze a system focusing on the interdependence of people and planet.
- Judge the value of a system according to how it accounts for equity and inequity created by human actions.
When all four GE learning outcomes come together it’s all about learning to actualize and contribute. Courses in this learning outcome focus on growth, personal development and peak experiences.